Saturday, January 21, 2012

Utilize Your Endorphins

The expression "bodies in motion stay in motion" is so true!

I have spent a few days where I knew I was busy, but not efficient. Those seemed to be days when I was tying up lots of lose ends. At the end of the day I definitely accomplished good work, but not at my maximum potential.
It seems like the days that I was the clearest and worked the best were after I exercised. Those days I probably took on bigger tasks, and finished them!

That excitement I felt, and the vision I had, may have been the result of the increased hormones which were produced during strenuous exercise: endorphines, serotonin, dopamine, phenylethylamine, as well as others!

During exercise serotonin is released into the brain where it activates receptors that sense heightened emotions. After only 20 minutes of exercise my mind feels more "awake". Phenylethylamine hormones also cause heightened brain activity and elevated moods. Endorphines are pain camoflaugers. Dopamine is a neuro-transmitter that controls the brain's reward and pleasure centers and help regulate emotional responses, enabling us to see rewards, and take actions to move toward them.

No wonder some rigorous exercise helps me set my focus for a really productive day moving in the right direction! Doesn't hurt that I burned some calories while I was at it!

Tip: Keep a note-pad by your exercise bike, or make sure you write your clear-headed ideas down right after you come back from your walk or run, because they might be your best ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment