Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What is the Definition of "Success."

The dictionary says the definition of success is "the achievement of something planned, or, the gaining of fame or prosperity." I would have to agree that either one of those things would make me feel fulfilled and "successful!"
In my lifetime I have achieved most of the goals that I have set for myself, but, that could be because I usually try to set my bar at an attainable level! I know that I fit happily at a respectable level of accomplishment, intelligence and life experience. This is partly from effort and partly from luck! Once again though, as I reach this mid-life period, I have to ask myself, "what is there still left for me to do that makes me feel successful?" "What should I do with my time now?"
Should I raise the bar and try to learn something new and challenging? Or, should I continue doing what I have done in my past--"go with the flow--"and just see what comes next!
Being adaptive and waiting to see has always worked great for me. As Albert Schweitzer said: Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (whom I have always admired) said, "the definition of success is to laugh much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--this is to have succeeded."
If these are the criteria for success I have been very successful in my life so far! It's basically what being a Mom was all about for me. And I am without a doubt a very happy person today!

No comments:

Post a Comment